Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Picture Books!

There's a timeline of picture books here on this site: http://www.picturingbooks.com/picture-book-timeline.html ! The first book I recognized being mentioned was The Tale of Peter Rabbit which was written by Beatrix Potter and published in 1902. The sad thing about this is that the timeline started with the year of 1658. I'd never even heard of the picture books that were published prior to The Tale of Peter Rabbit. This book though, used to be my favorite book only because I liked the actual book... I've never read it or had it read to me for that matter. I would carry the book around because I liked the bunny on the front cover. I still have the book. Seeing it in this picture book timeline makes me want to go home and read it. Maybe make some nostalgic adolescent memories. That sounds fun!
The next book I recognized was Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It was written by Lewis Carroll and published in the same year that The Tale of Peter Rabbit was. The original "Alice" picture book was illustrated by John Tenniel. I've read this one. I've even seen both movies. The original cartoon version and the movie that was released recently in 2010. I must say, I liked the cartoon movie more because the new one was a tad-bit scary. The characters were so real...
I know of the Madeline books but once again, I've never read them. I've seen some of the cartoon Madeline shows but as far as reading them, I didn't own any of the books. I guess when you're a kid, finding great reads isn't your first priority.
From here on out, I'll just list books I've read and/or liked! Here it is:
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
The Runaway Bunny
Goodnight Moon
The Story of Babar, the Little Elephant
Curious George - Kind of annoying!
The Carrot Seed
Harold and the Purple Crayon
The Cat in the Hat
Little Bear - Still Love!
Little Blue and Little Yellow
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Frog and Toad Are Friends - I have a special connection with this book!
Alexander and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
The Polar Express - Loved! The movie was magical too!
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
If you haven't checked the picture book timeline yet, please do! It'll let your reminisce in old memories! I loved being able to take a look at books I've read as a child and when they were written. I bet you will too!
Until Next Time, GLG.

No comments:

Post a Comment