Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Utopia, pg. 1-33

My brother read this book and recommended it to me. I think he left out the important detail of the number of deaths. Just in the first 33 pages, 2 people have died. One in a freak accident, the other in a murderous exchange. The prologue tells the story of how a nine-year-old boy, named Corey, died. He was on a roller coaster in this fantastic amusement park. He was so excited to be going there to ride a certain coaster. It's called Notting Hill Chase. I guess I should explain more about this place called Utopia so you can understand it a bit better. Here's my simple run-down of the place:
Built on top of the Grand Canyon. There are 4 separate theme parks inside of Utopia: Gaslight, Camelot, Boardwalk, and Callisto. Largest, best theme park in the entire world (an average of 70,000 people come everyday). It's in the future. Everything's an illusion.
That's all you need to know, really. It's a massive place that pretty much explains itself.
The main character is a guy by the name of Andrew Warne. He's beginning to work at Utopia in the robotics field. The robots in Utopia were actually created by him, but he's never been inside of the place. When he arrives, everything seems to take his breath away. Warne (people go by their last names in this book for some reason, so I will too) brings his daughter along. Her name is Georgia and she's a typical teenager. That means she's rebellious and is ashamed to be even near her father. Everything seems to get on her nerve. Enough about her though, she's only been in like 2 pages that I've read so far. Hopefully though, she'll show up again. I like her personality. It's very stereotypical for a teen.
The sections are labeled with times. Utopia opens at 9 in the morning and closes at 9 in the night. It takes 12 hours to prepare Utopia for the next day.
I'll just start where I left off. It was 9:00 A.M. when the second person died. He was taking little gadgets to a secret guy. He was giving the secret guy things that would allow him to go in and out of Utopia as if he were a worker there. As soon as the secret guy hands him money for his deeds, a gun comes out of the secret guy's pocket and kills the helpful guy. I guess helpful isn't the right word. He was bad, actually. He broke the law, and he could've been fired from his great job at Utopia. Now, secret guy has total access to Utopia. This doesn't look good. I'll have to see what happens next!

Until next time, GLG.

No comments:

Post a Comment