Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Dart League King, pg. 30-68

I read the sections called Jack the Fu*king Dude and The Trouble with Liza Hatter and An Intellectual Conversation and Godda*n Clouds, Fu*king Rain and I'm about a third of the way through Give Me Darts or Give Me Death. I guess I'll start with the sections that have explicit words in the title. These sections are both about the same person. His name is Vince Thompson. He's poor, living alone, and he has a lazy eye. Everything in Vince's life is a disaster and he blames it on his never-been-there-for-him dad. He's an interesting character, I must say. Right now, Vince is after Russell Harmon (the main character, I think) for debts due to drugs. Cocaine to be specific.
Russell Harmon knows this, but he's trying to concentrate on winning a dart-throwing competion. To do this, he snorts lines of blow and drinks enough beer to ensure his perfect equilibrium. Russell isn't very smart, and he's not sure what he can do with life. That's what I'm getting out of him so far.
Next, I'll describe Tristan Mackey! He's the "coolest" character. I liked reading his section until the very end where he watched a girl drown because he finally noticed her beauty... Anyways, he's a relaxed person, always calm. He's a "bad" guy in disguise. He'd rather steal a book from a library than steal money from a bank. That's actually what he was going to do when he went into the library. Tristan was going to rip some covers off of books, perhaps steal a few. Then, he saw Liza Hatter in the library. He considered her a tolerable candidate for spending the night with. They eventually went to Tristan's lake house. Tristan really just wanted some space, some alone time to let his mind escape. So when Liza suggested skinny dipping, he was up for it. He thought Liza would get in and scream and complain about the chillness of the black water and swim back for the house to get a towel. He heard her scream and complain and he thought he was alone so he kept swimming deeper. However, Liza didn't actually swim back to the shore. She was following Tristan, until she couldn't move anymore because she was so cold. Tristan began swimming back for her and was withing (I think..) 2 and a half feet of her, but instead of saving her, he just watched her. Tristan described how the almost new moon was shining in her eyes. He said she look pretty, and that he could actually get used to her. Tristan watched her as she cried for help and said his name but he didn't do anything, he just thought of her pretty face and moon-lit eyes. He saw her go down and not come back up. I thought that was awfully intense, and I couldn't stop reading but I wanted because I had a feeling he wasn't going to save her.
Another character is Kelly Ashton. I'm about a third into her section. I don't know a lot about her yet. All I know is that she had a daughter in high school and she likes Tristan because of his "chillness" (wink, wink) and his calm personality. Her daughter's name is Hayley and Kelly doesn't want to end up like her mother. Her mother used to be beautiful, like her, but she's lost her looks and now she's not so pretty and alone. I'll learn more about her, after I read some more. I'm liking this book. The characters are defined so well and I feel like I'm there, living life with them. Not sure if I'd actually like to live life with them, but I like that I'm able to think that way. Ohhhhh.. and one thing to mention is that there are lots of run-on sentences. They never seem to stop. (One sentence goes on for 2 and a half pages, it ended at the and of the section) Well I'll keep reading so I can get to know Kelly Ashton some more.
Until next time, GLG.

No comments:

Post a Comment