Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Guardian, pg. 1-91

Nicholas Sparks is one of my favorite authors. His book, The Guardian, sounded so good when I read the summary. I got it a pretty long time ago, but I've been leaving it alone. I decided I'd start reading it and I can hardly put it down!
The prologue starts out with the main character, Julie, and it tells the story of how she got her dog, Singer. It's Christmas Eve, four years prior to the beginning of the actual story. Julie's husband has been dead for 40 days and she's planning on spending Christmas all by herself, until someone came to her door with a gift box and told her to not shake the box and to "keep this end up." Julie later opened the box to see a puppy inside with a letter. The letter was from Jim that he'd written to "Jules" explaining everything. I cried and had to take a break before reading on. At the end of the letter, Jim said, "I'll always be your guardian angel, sweetheart. You can always count on me to keep you safe." So sweet. I get so emotional when I'm reading/watching anything.
Julie is a free-spirit now, trying to step out into the world of dating. She works at a hair salon and her dog is her best friend. The world of dating to her is completely hopeless, UNTIL she meets Richard. The good-looking Richard that treats Julie like a queen. I ended my reading with Julie having spent a weekend with Richard. It sounded amazing, but deep down I can tell she's not all satisfied with him. Her dog, Singer, really doesn't like him. Of course, Singer doesn't like this whole new "dating" thing Julie is doing. Julie even described him as a "big, furry version of a jealous boyfriend."
Richard isn't the only one. There's also Mike. Mike is my favorite. (He was my favorite from the beginning, but Richard got close.) Mike is a mechanic and was Jim's best friend. I really hope they end up together. It's fun to read the chapters that are from Mike's point-of-view. He really loves Julie and really hates Richard. I'll have to wait and see who Julie picks! I hope Mike wins.
Until next time, GLG.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love love love Nicholas Sparks. I've read every book so far except for this one and reading this blog made me really want to read it!!!!

    ReplyDelete